Tuesday 23 December 2014

Terry: Game by game



The captain powered a header beyond Asmir Begovic inside the opening two minutes to set us on our way, with Cesc Fabregas wrapping the game up 12 minutes from time, finishing off a brilliant passing move.
‘It’s a very tough place to go and in the last couple of years it’s proved very difficult for us,’ Terry said. ‘The goal early on gave us a platform to build on and from then on we were in control of the whole game.
‘I don’t score too many with my feet so I have to make the most of them with my head. There was a little bit of movement and I got half a yard, it was a great ball by Cesc and I just managed to head it down which made it difficult for the keeper.
‘The way we countered and opened them up it probably could have been a lot more, and Stoke are a good side.’
There were impressive Chelsea performances throughout the team during what was a tough, physical battle, and Terry praised Nemanja Matic, who was named man of the match at the final whistle.
‘He’s been different class; when myself and Gary have got him in front of us he breaks the play up and he’s got a great burst of speed in him which opens defences up,’ explained the skipper.
‘He sits there and wins every header, every tackle, he breaks the play when we get caught on the counter and he’s been a revelation for us this year.’
For Terry, it’s been a wonderful first part of the campaign, with the skipper having started every Premier League game and producing quality performances on a consistent basis.
‘I’ve been written off since I was 29 or 30 so I’m kind of used to it,’ he said. ‘As players you hit 30 and everybody says you’re finished, that it’s the end and it’s time for the youngsters to get their chance, so it’s important for me to look after myself and remain fit. 
‘Having the likes of Matic and the younger players around me helps that. We’ve got a great squad, I’m fit and playing well at the moment so I’m delighted.’
Last night’s win at the Britannia Stadium takes us three points clear of second-placed Manchester City, and although he acknowledged the significance of the result, Terry is simply focusing on taking one game at a time.
‘City have kind of come from nowhere and Man United are back in the fold as well, the good teams around us can put a run of five or seven wins together and all of a sudden they’re back in it, so it was important we secured top spot for Christmas,’ Terry said.
‘We’ve got a tough game against West Ham (on Boxing Day), which was hard for us last year, so we’re taking it game by game at the moment.’

No comments:

Post a Comment